Breaking

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Learning Grief – Kaisar Haq









Learning Grief


by Kaiser Haq





A study in contrast: at eight


I was dragged from bed


To hand a glass of water


To grandmother in deathbed.


She drank


I went back to sleep


And when I woke up


It was so the stillness


And stifled sobs


Of mourning.


Relations arrived


And religious professionals


Droning from scriptures


As essence smoke rose


In fragrant coils


Father was red-eyed


Withdrawn a sight


To be commented on


By my neighborhood friends


His mother has died, they said,


Clucking in sympathy


I remember feeling


Nothing except that the whole


Scene was novel. The clock


Of my life did not stop


As I did when I was ten


And a sister arrived like a silver


Of moonlight erased


Almost at once by a dark mop


Of cloud: winter pneumonia.


Mother’s gloom was long


As the night, and at school


Day after tasteless day


Under the austere miniature


Of the crucifixion


I went through lesions and exercises,


Sombre as any penitent monk.


Watching friends at play,


At their pranks, I thought:


I’ll never laugh or smile, I’ll never


Feel joy again. Everyone,


Bless them,left me alone


Until one day, like the earth


Feeling its contours change


As seeds detonate under rain


I felt the clock of my life begin


To tick again as a joke


Burst from my lips.


I can laugh again, I thought


Smiling. I had learned grief.


...The End...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Write an email to your friend inviting him to join a picnic

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *